Hello!

You can write in english - we will try to answer in english too ;)

Hello!

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi.
I recently met some of you at Military Odyssey a couple of weeks ago and can I say how glad I was that I did! I went along in my Polish 1st Armoured Division uniform fully expecting (as usually is the case) that I wold be the only one representing Poland. So it was a great relief and pleasure to meet such a great group keeping the memory of Poland's contribution and sacrifice alive.

My grandparents on my mother's side were both Polish. At the outbreak of war my grandfather was living near Poznań and my grandmother in Warsaw, soon joining a resistance movement. Both were arrested and although they didn't know each other at the time, they coincidentally ended up in different parts of Dachau concentration camp. After liberation he joined the Polish army in Italy for a time. I have very limited knowledge of this so any help with where to look up this information would be a great.
They both met in England a few years later I believe, which is how I come to be second generation Polish / English. This is also where I get my interest of Polish World War 2 history from.
As is too often the case, I regret not asking them about it more while they were still alive, but I was too young to really understand and they perhaps didn't want to talk about it.
I am in the process of getting his memoirs translated, which should make for interesting reading. Not very much survives though. Only July 1939 until about mid 1941.

Anyway, I am carrying on with my Polish language studies in between working full time so I will contribute to the Polish part of the forum as often as I can and hopefully be understood!

Thank you for all making me feel welcome.

Greg Szczepaniak
Greg

Re: Hello!

Postby Zoya » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Cześć !

It is so nice to have you in our forum!

Hopefully you will like it and maybe we will see you in Carpathian uniform someday.... ;) ;) ;)
Zoya

Postby przemek85 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Cześć Greg
Zgodnie z obietnicą będę zwracał się do Ciebie po polsku, abyś więcej się uczył ;).Witamy ;)
przemek85

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a Carpathian uniform finds it's way into my wardrobe. :D Uczuć się Polskiego krok po kroku. Proszę wybaczyć moje błędy! Dziękuje za zachętę.
Greg

Postby Maciek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Dear Greg :)
Twoje imię i nazwisko muszą być językowym koszmarem dla Twoich angielskich przyjaciół ;)
Życzę wytrwałości "and all the best" ;)

Maciek
"We do not beg for freedom - we fight for it."
Maciek

Postby Kosynier » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Maciek wrote:Dear Greg :)
Twoje imię i nazwisko muszą być językowym koszmarem dla Twoich angielskich przyjaciół ;)
Życzę wytrwałości "and all the best" ;)

Maciek

By bylo gorze jesli by sie nazywal ... Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz ;)
Image"Polskie żołnierzy przyjezdzace ze wszystkich krajów , walcza o wolność innych narodów,Lecz umieraja zawsze z myślą o Polsce ."
When one man says to another,"I know what let's do today, let's play the war game."... everybody dies !
Kosynier

Postby Maciek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:54 pm

....i tu się rozumiemy Kosynier :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOoSsfU6cM
"We do not beg for freedom - we fight for it."
Maciek

Postby Greg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:45 pm

You're right, everyone struggles with it. That video it too funny! I will have to find the film it's taken from :)
Greg

Postby DANIEL69 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:28 am

Hi Greg
I remember your visit and conversation. I welcome you to our forum, we are happy we can help you.
It promised me help in learning English and I promised to help you learn Polish language.

With Regards
Daniel :mrgreen:

Cześć Greg

Pamięta Twoją wizytę i rozmowy. Witam Cie na naszym forum, chętnie Ci pomożemy.
To mnie obiecałeś pomoc w nauce języka angielskiego, a ja tobie w nauce języka polskiego.

Pozdrawiam
Daniel :mrgreen:
DANIEL69

Postby Kosynier » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 am

Image"Polskie żołnierzy przyjezdzace ze wszystkich krajów , walcza o wolność innych narodów,Lecz umieraja zawsze z myślą o Polsce ."
When one man says to another,"I know what let's do today, let's play the war game."... everybody dies !
Kosynier

Next

Return to English Corner